Project Type: overhaul
Both of The Thunderhawk's maroon and gold trains are in the shop at PTCI for the 2017/2018 winter season receiving winter overhaul.
The Thunderhawk, originally called Coaster, was designed by Herbert P. Schmeck and opened in 1924 at Dorney Park. It was designed as an out and back coaster and later received a profile reconfiguration in 1930 adding a figure eight twister section. The Coaster received it’s name change in 1989 to The Thunderhawk but has kept it’s same tradition wood coaster profile since the 1930’s. In 2016 Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters, Inc. was proud to build 2 brand new trains for Dorney Park. The Thunderhawk now operates with 2 three seat articulating trains comprised of 4 cars in each train.